Monday, October 17, 2011

Tony Curtis leaves the Hollywood Freeway


Unfortunately, after 16-years of re-touching the Tony Curtis mural after numerous vandal attacks and few hundred thousand road miles on his truck, muralist George Sportelli of Whittier has begun the delicate process to remove the mural from the Sunset Blvd. bridge on the southbound side of the Hollywood Freeway (US 101). Sportelli repainted the mural near Hollywood Blvd. and Bronson Ave. in Hollywood in September.

“I painted it [the mural] because I had seen murals on the freeway growing up and I thought it might be fun to do one,” said Sportelli. “I decided about a year or two ago that I needed to relocate this mural because I didn’t intend to spend the rest of my life cleaning graffiti off of it.”


Originally painted in 1995 by Sportelli as part of Caltrans Transportation Art Program, the mural has stood as an easy reminder to motorists that they are passing through Hollywood or the city’s creative nature. The current mural will be installed on a building at the Shiloh Horse Rescue near Las Vegas which is owned by Curtis’ widow, Jill Curtis.