Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Caltrans in the News: Five Big Freeway Projects

Just in case you missed it, KTLA ran a story yesterday billed as a "crash course in construction zones" that focuses on five big construction projects underway or coming soon: carpool lanes on I-405, I-5, and I-10; paving on SR-710; and the upcoming Express Lanes project, which will construct high-occupancy toll lanes on I-10 and I-110. You can find out more about these projects on the Caltrans website and the dedicated I-5 website.

One key point the story doesn't mention is that almost all of the construction on these projects is done at night to minimize traffic impacts. Generally speaking, the cones go down at 10 p.m. and are picked up by 6 a.m. But there may be some long-term ramp closures, which you can find out about online. 511 is also a great resource to help you make smart choices about your commute.