Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Paving Project on I-710 Begins




Work began Monday, August 6, on a $120 million pavement replacement project on the Long Beach Freeway (I-710) from the Los Angeles River Bridge to the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10).

The project will install precast concrete panels in the two left lanes and concrete slab in the two right lanes, upgrade the median barrier and construct maintenance pullouts along the route to enhance safety for maintenance crews.

The following freeway closures will be in effect nightly for the week of Monday, August 6 through Friday, August 10, from midnight to 4 a.m.:

·      Southbound I-710 from Whittier Boulevard/Olympic Boulevard off-ramp to the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5).

·      Southbound I-710 from the Atlantic Boulevard off-ramp to the Atlantic Boulevard on-ramp.

Signed detours will be in place.

Shimmick Construction is the contractor on the project, which will complete in late 2015. Work also will include widening shoulders and installing fiber optic lines for various traffic management technologies.

Repaving on various sections of I-710 has been going on for nearly a decade. This project extends that work.


###