Tuesday, October 9, 2012

All Aboard! Attention I-5 South Corridor Commuters!

If you commute on the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) from Orange County to Los Angeles County, you may want to consider parking your car at a Metrolink Station and hopping aboard to Los Angeles Union Station. All Aboard!

As construction progresses on the I-5 South Corridor widening and HOV lane projects from the Los Angeles/ Orange County line to I-605, motorists will soon experience three of six construction projects along this corridor in the cities of La Mirada, Norwalk and Santa Fe Springs. Caltrans is widening the freeway to add one carpool lane and one general purpose lane in each direction, reconstructing overcrossings and bridges and realigning and upgrading adjacent frontage roads.

Caltrans District 7 and Metrolink are partners on the I-5 Commuter Incentive Program public outreach campaign to help Southern California daily commuters save money, enjoy a stress-free commute, have a positive impact on the environment, and encourage them to get familiar with public transportation options and give it a try!

Since early 2012, Caltrans District 12 (Orange County) and Metrolink are providing train travel times from the OC to Los Angeles Union Station via electronic highway signs to show commuters that trains are a viable alternative to freeway travel. Both train and freeway travel times are now displayed on electronic highway Changeable Message Signs (CMS) near the Fullerton and Anaheim Metrolink stations during weekdays on northbound Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) and westbound State Route 91.

Caltrans District 7 and Metrolink are planning a similar program for messaging to benefit OC and LA County commuters who may be impacted by the I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects.   The CMS messages will benefit commuters with real-time travel information to help them get to their destination quicker and highlight the time a commuter could save by taking Metrolink trains.


Contact www.metrolinktrains.com for more information on the Caltrans/Metrolink I-5 Commuter Incentive Program.  Information about the I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects from the Los Angeles/Orange County line to I-605 is available from the toll-free I-5 Hotline (855) 454-6335 or www.I-5info.com