Thursday, February 14, 2013

Video Update: Northbound SR-170/I-5 Connector

If you drive I-5 or SR-170 in the San Fernando Valley, no doubt you’ve observed the impressive new northbound SR-170 to northbound I-5 connector going up — it’s pretty hard to miss. The connector is part of a project that's also building HOV lanes on I-5 between SR-170 and SR-118 and an HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange.  

Usually, you only get to see structures like this one through a car window while traveling at 60 miles per hour. We asked the project's Resident Engineer, Emile Eid, to give us a sneak preview before the connector opens. In the video below (3:07), Emile takes us up on the structure and provides a status update, including the expected opening timeframe. (Hint: very soon!)

In the video, Emile mentions that there will be a southbound I-5 closure later this month when crews remove the temporary supports (aka falsework). After the video was shot, the work was rescheduled for March. We'll give you a heads-up here on the Caltrans blog as soon as the new closure date is confirmed. 

video

For more info about the project, check out the I-5 website or call us on the toll-free I-5 Hotline at (855) 454-6335.