Litter is still a major problem in California. Every year Caltrans spends millions of dollars and thousands of hours picking it up. Last year, on Earth Day, Caltrans picked up 2,533 cubic yards of litter--just on that one day! That much litter would fill 158 garbage trucks.
Today, April 25, is our Annual Litter Day, and all available Maintenance personnel are participating in litter removal.
But we can't do it without you. Please, do not throw litter onto the road, which is not only unsightly but ends up in our drains and causes all kinds of havoc.
Some statistics for District 7 (Los Angeles and Ventura Counties) Fiscal Year 2011/2012:
- 28,211 cubic yards litter picked up
- 15,400 cubic yards debris removed
- 3,324,535 square feet of graffiti painted out
- Graffiti costs $2,409,463
- Litter and Debris related costs $12 million
Is this really how you want your transportation dollars spent?