Friday, May 3, 2013

It’s Heeeeeeere! (Almost.) New I-5/SR-170 Connector to Open Next Week! *UPDATED*

After more than three years in construction, the new I-5/SR-170 connector will open Tuesday, May 7, Wednesday, May 8, (delayed due to rain) at 5 a.m. The connector is a three-lane, mixed-flow connector going from the northbound Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) to the northbound Golden State Freeway (I-5). If you’re headed northbound on SR-170, you’ll merge with the three outside lanes of northbound I-5. 

The new connector is five stories tall, eight football fields long, and contains enough concrete for 2.2 million 15-inch garden gnomes. This past week, crews were busy getting the connector ready for opening, for example, smoothing out the pavement: 


And finishing work on drainage grates: 


And deck joints: 


Striping is now underway, which brings us to closures. Next week, crews will be putting the final touches on the connector, which will require night closures of northbound I-5 between Sheldon Street and Osborne Street and southbound I-5 between the I-5/SR-170 interchange and Sheldon Street, as well as night closures of southbound I-5 on-ramps at Terra Bella Street and Osborne Street. Details: 

Where

Northbound I-5 between Sheldon Street and Osborne Street 

Southbound I-5 between the I-5/SR-170 interchange and Sheldon Street 

When

Northbound I-5 Closure

Wednesday night, May 8, through Thursday morning, May 9, 2013 

TIME: 11:59 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Southbound I-5 Closure 

Thursday night, May 9, through Saturday morning, May 11, 2013 

TIME: 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m. 

Detours 

Northbound I-5 detour: Traffic will be detoured off the freeway at Lankershim Blvd. and onto San Fernando Road. Motorists will reenter northbound I-5 from Osborne Street. Detour signs will be posted.

Southbound I-5 detour: Traffic will be detoured off I-5 at the I-5/SR-170 interchange and onto southbound SR-170. Motorists will reenter southbound I-5 from Laurel Canyon Blvd. Detour signs will be posted. Here's a map:

 
More info about the project is here

Questions? Check out the I-5 website or call us on the toll-free I-5 hotline at (855) 454-6335.