Monday, July 29, 2013

New Bypass Lane on Southbound I-5 Near Frazier Park



As of this morning, there's a new bypass on southbound I-5 from Frazier Mountain Park Road to Gorman Road, a distance of about 2.7 miles. The bypass lane will remain in place through August 29, 2013, while crews pave the two outside lanes and shoulder of southbound I-5.
What's a bypass lane? The inside lane of northbound I-5 has temporarily become a southbound lane at all times between Frazier Mountain Park Road and Gorman Road. So, if you're approaching Frazier Mountain Park Road in the left lane of southbound I-5, you'll need to shift to the bypass lane. A temporary concrete barrier separates the northbound and southbound lanes. Here's a schematic:


Why bother with a bypass lane at all? The bypass lane allows three traffic lanes in each direction to remain open while work is underway on the two outside southbound lanes and shoulder and will reduce the duration of the project. 
As part of this operation, the southbound I-5 on-ramp to Frazier Mountain Park Road is closed. The alternate on-ramp to southbound I-5 is Gorman Road. Here's the detour map:

This work is part of a project that's repaving both directions of I-5 between Vista Del Lago Road and the Kern County line. More info here.
Questions? Visit I-5info.com or call us on the toll-free I-5 Info Line at (855) 454-6335. 
Posted by kelly.markham@dot.ca.gov.