Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tanker Fire Closures on SR-2 and I-5

Update: As of 8:20 a.m., Northbound SR-2 to Southbound I-5 has been opened.

The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has been working through the night to redirect traffic and re-open all lanes of the Golden State Freeway (I-5) since the fire was reported at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, July 13.  The intense heat from the tanker fire caused extensive damage to the pavement, walls, support columns, drainage, and lighting within the tunnel requiring the closure of all lanes of northbound I-5 at SR-2 and two lanes of southbound I-5.  The northbound SR-2/northbound I-5 connector is closed indefinitely. 

Closures currently in place:
Northbound I-5 closed at SR-2
Northbound SR-2 at Glendale Boulevard
Northbound I-5 to Southbound SR-2 connector
Southbound SR-2 to Southbound I-5 connector
Northbound SR-2 to Northbound I-5
Southbound I-5, the #3 and #4 lanes are closed from Los Feliz to Stadium Way

Caltrans structural, design, maintenance, and construction engineers have instructed the contractor to construct a temporary system to support the columns which hold the lanes of northbound and southbound I-5.  Once the shoring system is complete, the I-5 lanes closures will be lifted.  The lanes are expected to open by Tuesday, July 16.