Caltrans has scheduled many construction activities and operations on both directions of the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) in Santa Fe Springs and Norwalk. Listed below are ramps that will open and close, mainline lane shift locations, and other upcoming summer and fall 2014 construction activities. The work is part of the $1.8 billion I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects to widen the freeway and structures to add one HOV lane and one general purpose lane from the Los Angeles/ Orange County line to the San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605).
Ramps to OPEN:
· Tuesday, July 15 at 6 a.m. - the southbound I-5 on-ramp at Norwalk Blvd./San Antoni
· Late Summer 2014 - the new, fly-over off-ramp at southbound I-5 at Imperial Highway.
Ramps to CLOSE:
· July 8 - 11 and July 14 - 17, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - the northbound I-5 off-ramp at Rosecrans Ave. will close on weekdays during daytime hours.
· July 18, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. - the northbound I-5 off-ramp at Rosecrans Ave.
· (This ramp will fully close at 7 p.m. for an extended 55-hour weekend closure).
Friday, July 18 at 7 p.m. to Monday, July 21 at 5 a.m. - Extended Weekend (55-hour) Full Closure of the northbound I-5 off-ramp at Rosecrans Avenue.
Wednesday, July 16 - Permanent closure of the southbound I-5 on-ramp at Imperial Hwy.
Thursday, July 17 at 7 p.m. - Long-term Full Closure of the northbound I-5 on-ramp at Carmenita Road. This ramp will close for approximately 18 months, until mid-2016 when the Carmenita Bridge Project has completed. During the closure, crews will work to complete the new 10-lane bridge, construct a new northbound I-5 on-ramp structure, construct the new center median, and realign the roadway.
Mainline Traffic Shifts:
· Tuesday, July 15 at 4:30 a.m. - ALL (3 of 3) northbound I-5 lanes, between Norwalk Blvd. and Imperial Highway, will shift to the right; traffic will move on the newly paved lanes. (NB I-5 full freeway closure is scheduled overnight, Mon. 7/14, 11:59 pm to 4:30 am)
· Wednesday, July 16 at 4:30 a.m. - ALL (3 of 3) southbound I-5 lanes, between ImperialHighway and Norwalk Blvd., will shift to the left and onto the existing northbound I-5 lanes. (SB I-5 full freeway closure is scheduled overnight prior on Tues. 7/15, 12:01am to 4:30 am)
· Monday, July 21 at 5 a.m. - ALL (3 of 3) northbound I-5 lanes will shift to the right between Carmenita Road to Rosecrans Avenue. (NB I-5 full freeway closure is scheduled overnight prior on Sun. 7/20, 12:01 am to 5 am)
Upcoming Construction Activities:
Late Summer 2014 - I-5 Florence Avenue Interchange Project begins construction. This project extends from Orr and Day Road to just south of I-605. It is the fifth project to begin construction in a series of six I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects. Preliminary utility relocation activities are currently ongoing in various areas.
Early September, 2014 - Alondra Blvd. Bridge Project. Two newly-constructed bridges, the Alondra Blvd. Bridge and the Coyote Creek Overcrossing, will reopen. The intersection of Alondra Blvd. and Freeway Dr. will also open at this time.
Late Summer 2014 - Imperial Highway/Pioneer Blvd. Project. The newly-constructed, fly-over off-ramp at southbound I-5 at Imperial Highway will open.
Early Fall 2014 - Alondra Blvd. Bridge Project.
· Mainline Traffic Shift- southbound I-5 mainline lanes will shift traffic to the center of the roadway; the existing southbound lanes will be the site of a new work zone.
· Permanent closure of the southbound I-5 on-ramp at Alondra Blvd.
Fall 2014 - Rosecrans Ave./Bloomfield Ave. Project. Long-term closure of the southbound I-5 on-ramp and off-ramp at Rosecrans Avenue. (Approximately 9 months).
Fall 2014 - Florence Avenue Project. Permanent closure of the southbound I-5 on-ramp at Orr and Day Road in the city of Downey.