Friday, March 6, 2015

I-5 Florence Avenue Interchange Groundbreaking

On Thursday, March 5 Caltrans and the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) held a groundbreaking ceremony for the $215 million I-5 HOV / Florence Avenue Interchange Project,  the fifth in a series of six construction projects to widen I-5 between the San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605) and the Orange County line. This project will ease traffic congestion for the more than 170,000 motorists who travel it daily. Once completed, the Florence Avenue Interchange project will add one HOV lane and a general purpose lane in each direction of the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) as well as increase vehicle capacity on Florence Avenue.


District 7 Director Carrie Bowen (5th from left) along with representatives from  Metro, CHP, I-5 Consortium Cities JPA and the cities of Santa Fe Springs, Downey and Norwalk break ground on the project.
Featured speakers at the groundbreaking event included Caltrans District 7 Director Carrie Bowen, L.A. County Supervisor and Metro Board Member Don Knabe, Downey Mayor Luis H. Marquez, Santa Fe Springs Mayor Pro Tem Richard J. Moore, Downey Councilmember Fernando Vasquez, Norwalk Councilmember Michael Mendez,  Metro Deputy CEO Lindy Lee and Captain David Moeller, Santa Fe Springs Area Commander with the California Highway Patrol.

Construction on the project began in February 2015 and will be completed in fall 2019.
For information  on all construction projects taking place on I-5 please visit the http://www.my5la.com/