Monday, May 4, 2015

Project Update: SR-118 and SR-170 Carpool Lanes Project


http://www.my5la.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Project-Update-May-2015.pdf

The new I-5 carpool lane project between SR 118 and SR-170 is almost done! What exactly does “almost” mean? June!



In June 2015, a new carpool lane in each direction of I-5 between SR-118 and SR-170 in Arleta and Pacoima will open. The new direct carpool connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange will also open, allowing carpoolers to travel directly from one freeway to another without leaving the carpool lane. The carpool lanes south of this project, between SR-170 and Buena Vista Street, will open at the same time, creating a new continuous eight-mile stretch of carpool lanes.



These improvements will enhance safety, improve traffic flow, relieve congestion, encourage ride-sharing, and reduce weaving and merging. More info about the project is here.



So what’s left to complete? Remaining work includes: outside widening on southbound I-5 between Osborne Street and Sheldon Street, pavement grinding, slope paving, metal beam guardrail installation, irrigation and landscaping, striping, signage installation, and dyke construction.



While crews are finishing up, you can expect temporary lane and ramp closures at night when traffic volumes are low, mostly on southbound I-5. The southbound I-5 Branford Street on-ramp will reopen in June 2015.



Stay informed! Information about closures and project updates are provided in Caltrans’ weekly motorist advisory and posted on My5LA.com. Not getting the advisory? Signing up is simple — just submit your email address here. You can also call the toll-free I-5 Info Line at (855) 454-6335.

Download a PDF of this project update here.